October’s birthstone is the opal and if you’re lucky enough to be born in this month you probably have already built up quite a collection of beautiful opal jewelry. For the rest of us, unless you live in Australia, where it is the National stone and ninety-five percent of opals come from, you may have a piece or two.
Not just for mood rings anymore, here are our favorites opal jewelry pieces. If you’ve been reading this site for a while, you know our tastes lean toward minimal and colorless most of the time and this list reflects that. But opals come in millions of shades – often more than one at a time – and it’s worth exploring the designers below for pieces in different colors if that is what you are looking for.
1. Lollipop Necklace, 18k gold and pink opal, Ippolita, $895
2. Loren Stewart Opal Ring, 14k gold and opal, The Dreslyn, $275
3. Ear climber by Zoe Chicco, 14k gold and opal, Bloomingdales, $460
4. Stud Earrings by Elisa Solomon, 18 karat yellow gold, opal cabochon, pearls, diamond, $930
5. Beveled ring by Melanie Casey, 14k gold and opal, Artful Home, $165